About Us

My photo
And the family keeps growing and growing and growing...

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Yosemite National Forest Part 1

Here is the first of many posts regarding our amazing trip to Yosemite National Forest in California. First of all, I have about 600 pictures from the trip, so to pick only a few to put on here was very hard (you can see the rest of them herehttp://www2.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=232698468/a=74959280/t_=74959280).

The trip was so much fun. We did all sorts of hiking, mainly up mountains. Some hikes were more treacherous than others (not that I was scared at all… ok maybe just a few times). But the views were indescribable. The pictures do not do it justice, but I tried. There were waterfalls (yes Grandma, there is still water in California) all over the place & we even found a few swimming holes… although the water was beyond Lake Michigan cold.

We hiked to the top of some very steep mountains and although there was some disappointment that we did not hike Half Dome (which is apparently very famous & also very steep), we did hike North Dome & had a really great view of Half Dome from there. I’m sure Phil would be happy to tell you the ancient Indian tales regarding this huge mountains.

One night after hiking, we went to Mariposa Grove to see the Giant Sequoias. They are really Giant! I’ve never seen any tree so huge, except for the cashew tree in Brazil that is a whole city block wide. But they are amazing!

Don’t worry, I will be posting more about our trip including rafting pictures. But for now, enjoy these.


This is the awesome swimming hole we found near our house. The water was cold, but bearable. We swam here almost everyday after our hikes. The water was so clear we could see straight to the bottom. There might have even been some king/queen of the rock going on at times.
Here is the view from one of our hikes (if you look closely you can see my dad & Jennifer at the top of the trail). Beautiful views.
Jenni & Nate hiking up some really cool stairs on one of our trips.
Phil resting at the top of our first hike (which we called Chihuahua Falls because we couldn't pronounce the actual name for it).
Here is the other swimming hole that Annie found at the top of Chihuahua Falls. This water was beyond freezing. It took your breath away as soon as you jumped in & you never got it back. You could only stay in for approximately 30 seconds at a time otherwise you would become an icecube. But even my mom got in! I know you are all amazed that the woman who won't swim in the pool until the water temp is above 80 got in! But I can vouch for her, she did!
Here is one of the treacherous parts I was talking about... it makes me nervous just looking at it.
Here are the boys at the top of North Dome (Half Dome is in the background).
Nate, Phil, Uncle Dave & Dad


This is the tunnel tree at the Giant Sequoias. Phil, Nate & Gual are standing beneath it.
This is a fallen Giant Sequoia Phil & I are standing in front of.
Don't worry... more to come.

3 comments:

Greg Bevier said...

All I can say is :-( I'm glad you guys had fun though. This is my kind of trip. And I'd love to hear Phil's Indian Tales.

The Camburns said...

Good work on not pushing your husband off the trail! Yeah Drywall!

Anonymous said...

the scenery is so pretty!