About Us

My photo
And the family keeps growing and growing and growing...

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Did you know?

A disposable diaper can stay in a landfill for up to 500 years!

One baby that wears disposable diapers creates on average 1 TON of landfill waste.

When I read these, I was completely shocked… I mean I always knew disposable diapers were really bad, but come on… 500 years! That is crazy. Anyways, to try to do our part and not contribute as much to the landfills, Phil and I have decided to give cloth diapers a try. Now I know most of you are thinking…eww gross that is disgusting (as that is the main reaction I get), but they really aren’t all that bad. I’ve been doing a lot of research on them and they are almost exactly like disposable diapers. They don’t require pins or folding anymore, most of them have Velcro or snaps & elastic around the legs. The downside is that you do have to launder most of them yourself and it takes a little more work on our part, but we are up to the challenge.

Here are the two kinds I have decided to try out at first. Any comments are welcome… any experience or advice is definitely welcome!


BumGenius (click here to learn more)

and



Click here are some FAQ’s if anyone is interested in more info on the whole cloth diaper thing.

7 comments:

MH said...

thank you kim!

This was the motivation and inspiration I needed. I've been thinking about cloth diapers for Bug since before she was born, but I was scared and didn't know anyone else who was doing it.

I've been researching too, and I found a great local website for the Indy area that does in home demonstrations... I also ordered a few pre-folds and a cover so we can start doing them at night right away! The website has lots of great tips and information too: www.toastybaby.com

thanks for the kick in the rear!

Anonymous said...

I love you guys

The Casa Hunt said...

I usually like to wear the Bumgenius at night and during hibernation. It has great absorption and it easy to clean!! Have fun!!

Liza said...

You guys are awesome!
I didn't know you can still find cloth diapers. Me and all my sister wore cloth diapers when we were babies, I remember how to fold them and the rubber diaper you had to wear on top of them!!

I think is a great idea to give them a try. The part that might gross you out a little bit would be how to clean the cloth when the baby goes number two. But other than that it seems is the same as the traditional ones.
To make it easier on you, when you know your baby's schedule maybe you can use the cloth diaper for pee and the disposable for number two.

If people did it in the past, why not to do it now to help the environment and your pocket!!

Greg Bevier said...

The key word in your statement is "try" to use cloth diapers. Enjoy!

The Camburns said...

I agree with Randy, the BumGenius if definelty the most comfortable out there!

rhiannon said...

Hey Kim,
When I was looking into cloth diapers in the fall, I found this blog with info about all different cloth brands, and also with info about cleaning and the various supplies you may need, which might be helpful to you. It's two parts, the first is here: http://moxie.blogs.com/askmoxie/2006/03/qa_cloth_diaper.html and the second is linked at the bottom of that post. Hope it's useful and good luck!